What is Bristolsurgery.com ?
Our credo is to provide access and information on all currently available and emerging laparoscopic surgeries and the investigation of and surgery for pelvic floor problems including the multidisciplinary treatment of chronic pelvic floor pain.
Promote patient safety and best clinical outcomes.
Continually measure the quality and effectiveness of our surgery.
Help assure that patients & GPs are able to access appropriately trained surgeons.
Provide education & training for established consultants and surgeons-in-training as well as up-to date information on training course availability
- Identify and evaluate current and emerging minimal access and non invasive technologies in pelvic floor, gastrointestinal and hernia surgery.
Provide a forum for ideas and the exchange of information.
Foster support for and encourage clinical and basic science research.
Work with industry to achieve these goals.
What do we offer?
Mr Dixon offers a SAC approved fellowship for senior trainees/newly appointed consultants in colorectal & pelvic floor disease. Mr Dixon supported the LAPCO & LOREC programmes (>125 consultant training episodes undertaken) and continues to offer free consultant preceptoring in rectal resection, ileoanal pouch, SILS and ventral mesh rectopexy.
Bristolsurgery.com have over 20 years experience of performing advanced upper and lower gastrointestinal laparoscopic surgeries. Mr Dixon has one of the UK's largest experiences (and one of the few with published outcomes) in:
- Laparoscopic Anterior Resection/TME rectum for cancer
- Laparoscopic Anterior Resection for complicated diverticulitis
- Laparoscopic Restorative Proctocolectomy (Ileoanal Pouch) for Ulcerative Colitis
- Laparoscopic Ventral Mesh Rectopexy, Vaginal Sacrocolpopexy, Anterior Colporraphy for disorders of the pelvic floor including faecal & urinary incontinence, obstructed defecation (rectal and urogenital prolapse) and Solitary Rectal Ulcer syndrome. LVMR was developed by Mr Dixon here in bristol in 1996 (at the same time as Andre D'Hoore was innovating it in Belgium)
- Laparoscopic management of vaginal mesh complications (largest experience in Europe)
- Single Incision Laparoscopic Surgery (SILS) with the worlds largest published experience of its use in colorectal resection and restorative ileo-anal pouch
Tony also has an 11 year experience of using STARR in patients with obstructed defecation, symptomatic rectal intussusception and 4th degree haemorrhoids.
Mr Dixon has been performing TEP inguinal hernia repair since 1994 & has a large experience of remedial laparoscopic hernia surgery in patients who have developed problems following open and laparoscopic surgery performed elsewhere. We also undertake laparoscopic cholecystectomy, CBD exploration, splenectomy and incisional hernia repair.
In 2009 Mr Dixon in association with his anaesthetist Dr Gareth Greenslade (Consultant in Chronic Pain - specialist interest pelvic pain) visited Prof Roger Robert in Nantes to learn all about his teams pioneering approach to managing patients with pudendal neuralgia. Impressed by what they saw and learnt, they have now established an MDT specialising in Chronic Pelvic Pain; the only UK facility to offer pudendal nerve release.
Mr Dixon's associates also offer laparoscopic bariatric-weight loss surgery, oesophagectomy radical prostatectomy, cystectomy, adrenalectomy & partial nephrectomy.
And for GPs, Comissioners and patients ?
Bristolsurgery.com was established in April 2006. One of the reasons was to foster a friendly, high quality patient centred team approach to patients wishing to have their surgical condition assessed and treated in the private sector.
We employ the latest proven technologies and techniques to optimise results, speed-up recovery and provide superior value for money to the patient, medical insurer and CCG. Through clinical audit we continually strive to improve our performance with the pursuit of excellence remaining at the heart of the project. The advantages of our approach include:
- Minimal pain
- Few complications
- No MRSA or C. Diff infection
- No epidural or blood transfusion
- Short hospital stay (1-2 days)
- Quick recovery & return to everyday activities
- Superior cosmesis.
- Good outcomes
- We also allow:
- Discussion about all treatment options & multidisciplinary guidance.
- Treatment by accredited & experienced surgeons who are leaders in their fields in the UK and Europe.
- Treatment by surgeons with audited outcome measures.
- Knowledgeable and helpful secretarial and support staff
- Resources to access an experienced UK NHS laparoscopic surgeon
- Comprehensive information packages
If you type laparoscopic surgery and our area of expertise eg., ventral mesh rectopexy, inguinal hernia, rectal prolapse etc into Google Bristolsurgery.com comes top of the first page on the whole web. Our hit rate is >1000 hits/day with over 3000 pageviews.
Bristolsurgery.com makes an effort to provide the information patients and healthcare professionals really need.
Research & Education
Our portfolio includes the assessment of outcomes after advanced laparoscopic interventions & working with industry to develop new technologies eg SILS. Research is carried out within all the Bristol Hospitals as well as – Bristol, West of England, Cambridge and Oxford Universities.
Cancer (VEGF, CGH profiling)
Lap. surgery for Ulcerative Colitis
SILS (Single port Lap. Colorectal Surgery)
Accelerated postoperative recovery
Long-term outcome of Ventral Mesh Rectopexy
Rectal prolapse, haemorrhoids, PPH and STARR
Laparoscopic incissional hernia
Quality of life & patient reported outcome measures
PROMS post pelvic floor surgery
Pudendal nerve release
Chronic Pelvic Floor pain
Bristolsurgery.com is recognised & endorsed by the Royal College of Surgeons of England and The Pelvic Floor Society as a valuable resource for continued postgraduate education.